King Edward's School Home

An independent day school for boys aged 11 to 18

Catering Q & A

What if my son forgets his card?

If your son forgets his card one day, he should visit Reception and will be issued with a temporary card for one day only. 

What if my son loses his card?

If the card is lost, your son must report this to the porters in the Porter’s Lodge between 8.20 a.m. and 8.45 a.m. A new card will be ordered for him, which he will be able to collect from Reception the following day. If your son needs a second replacement card he will be charged £3 which will be added to your School Gateway account. Please bear in mind that it is important for your son to take care of his card once he has been issued with it.

My son wishes to bring in a packed lunch, can he do this?

It is compulsory for all boys to take lunch in the Dining Hall in the first year at King Edward’s School. From the second year onwards the boys are able to opt in or out of having school lunches on a termly basis. At the end of each term you will receive an email asking you to confirm your son’s preference for the next term. It is not possible to change preference part way through a term.  

How do I pay for school meals? 

In the first year the charges for meals are added to your fees bill as all the boys have to have lunches in school. From the second year onwards, the charges are added to your School Gateway Account. This is an online account which you can access to pay for trips and supplementary charges using a credit or debit card.

What if we had opted out and my son forgot his packed lunch?

In exceptional circumstances, we would be able to provide your son with lunch in the Dining Hall for which you would be billed at a later date.

What will happen when my son is in his GCSE year and he is on Study Leave?

The charge for the summer term will be reduced to cover only the weeks when your son is regularly in school having lessons. After this point, he should bring a packed lunch or buy dinner tickets at the Tuck Shop.

What if my son is unwell and there are days when he is absent from school?

Your son would need to be absent for at least five continuous days before we would consider refunding your money. A request for a refund would need to be made in writing.

What if my son is very busy and does not have time to queue?

Your son can either use the 'grab and go' option at lunchtime to pick up a take away packed lunch to eat at his convenience, or more likely, he can eat at morning break at 11.10am.

What if my son is on a school trip?

You will be informed in the trip letter whether your son needs to bring a packed lunch from home or if the dining hall will provide a packed lunch. Where no packed lunch is provided, your termly fee will be adjusted accordingly.

Is halal produce offered?

The dining hall provides halal and non-halal meats on separate counters which are clearly signposted.

Are there vegetarian options?

There is a vegetarian main course option every day as well as vegetarian fillings in sandwiches, vegetarian sauces for baked potatoes and pasta and a vegetarian pizza slice at break.

Why aren't you using a cashless card system instead? 

A cashless system removes the issue of boys carrying cash, but does not address the issue of speed of service, as dining hall staff still have to ring up the cost of items chosen and take payment, albeit from a different source. A single price/single visit system means that the tills disappear, the queues move swiftly and the pupils are choosing food based on what they want to eat rather than what is the cheapest.

My son is on an Assisted Place. Is he be eligible for free school meals?

In the first year (Shells), school lunches are compulsory. If your son is on an Assisted Place of greater than 90% of the value of the fees, he will receive school lunches free of charge. From the 2nd year onwards, you will have to pay for your son’s meals unless you fulfil the Government criteria for receiving free school meals.

What should I do if my son is eligible for free meals?

Boys are only eligible for free meals if their parents/guardians are in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance or Income Support. If this is the case they should opt into the scheme and then provide the appropriate documentation to Mrs Rogers at the Foundation Office. Once this is done, your son will not be charged.

Is there a tuck shop at KES?

There is a tuck shop in one corner of the dining hall at break and lunchtime which sells confectionary, drinks, chocolate, fruit and a range of healthy snacks. The Tuck Shop food is not designed to replace a school meal or a packed lunch.